Despite evidence of a more sexually active ‘third age’, ageing and later life (50+) are still commonly represented as a process of desexualisation.
Challenging this assumption and ageist stereotypes, this interdisciplinary volume investigates the experiential and theoretical landscapes of older people’s sexual intimacies, practices and pleasures. Contributors explore the impact of desexualisation in various contexts and across different identities, orientations, relationships and practices.
This enlightening text, reflecting international scholarship, considers how we can distinguish the real challenges faced by older people from the prejudices imposed on them.
Paul Simpson has lectured at several Northwest Universities, including the Department of Sociology at the University of Manchester and is currently an independant academic.
Paul Reynolds is Co-Convenor of the International Network for Sexual Ethics and Politics (INSEP) and an associate lecturer with The Open University.
Trish Hafford-Letchfield is Professor of Social Work at the University of Strathclyde.
Series Editor Preface - Paul Simpson, Trish Hafford-Letchfield and Paul Reynolds
1. Introduction to the Volume: Themes, Issues and Chapter Synopses - Paul Simpson, Paul Reynolds and Trish Hafford-Letchfield
2. Consent and Sexual Literacy for Older People - Paul Reynolds
3. ‘At YOUR Age???!!!’: the Constraints of Ageist Erotophobia on Older People’s Sexual and Intimate Relationships - Paul Simpson
4. The Aesthetic(s) of the Erotic in Old Age - Ricardo Iacub and Feliciano Villar
5. Menopause and the ‘Menoboom’. How Older Women are Desexualised by Culture - Clare Anderson.
6. Ageing, Physical Disability and Desexualisation - Susan Gillen and Paul Reynolds.
7. Ageing, ‘Intellectual’ Disability and Desexualisation - Susan Gillen and Paul Reynolds
8. Dancing in-step or out-of-step? Sexual and Intimate Relationships among Heterosexual Couples Living with Alzheimer’s Disease - Linn Sandberg.
9. Older People Living in Long-term Care: No Place for Old Sex? - Feliciano Villar and Josep Faba
10. Ageing and the LGBTI+ Community: a Case Study of Australian Care Policy - Jane Youell
11. Care Practice in the UK: Sex, Intimacy and Older People - Trish Hafford-Letchfield
12. Synthesis of Themes: Older People and Desexualization - Paul Simpson, Trish Hafford-Letchfield and Paul Reynolds