How can we support children’s and young people’s mental wellbeing in a digital age?
Through a series of informative and thought-provoking case studies, this book explores how to enable children and young people to stay safe, happy and mentally healthy at a time when so much of their lives are spent online. Featuring contributions from across research and practice, with the voice of the child at its heart, the book offers simple, practical guidance for improving wellbeing based on real-world evidence. It will be essential reading for parents, carers and professionals working with children across a range of school and community settings.
“This book provides comprehensive coverage of an important and emerging area and is a much-needed addition to the field.” Tony Cassidy, Professor of Child and Family Health Psychology, Ulster University
Michelle Jayman is a chartered psychologist and Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Roehampton.
Maddie Ohl is a chartered psychologist and Professor of Child Mental Health and Wellbeing at the University of West London.
Leah Jewett is a writer and the founding director of Outspoken Sex Ed, a social enterprise focused on encouraging parents to talk openly with their children about sex and relationships issues.
1. Digital Lives: Growing up in a Hi-tech World and Staying Mentally Healthy ~ Michelle Jayman
2. Pyramid Club: Building Skills for Healthy Friendships and Relationships in a Digital Age ~ Maddie Ohl
3. Supporting Children’s Healthy Socio-emotional Development Through Play: Book of Beasties – the Mental Wellness Card Game ~ Michelle Jayman and Phil Tottman
4. The School Counselling Partnership: Providing Support and Promoting Self-care for School Communities ~ Maddie Ohl and Toni Medcalf
5. The Breeze Project: Supporting Children and Young People Through Forest School ~ Lucy Tiplady and Harriet Menter
6. Promoting the Mental Health of Girls and Young Women in the Community: The Role of Girlguiding ~ Bronach Hughes
7. Supporting Families to Navigate the Changing Sex-education Landscape: Outspoken Sex Ed ~ Leah Jewett
8. The Lift off Programme by Red Balloon: Online Learning and Wellbeing Support for Children Who Self-exclude from School ~ Michelle Jayman and Jenny Lewis
9. The Lifemosaic Project: Supporting Wellbeing and Empowering Pupils Through Design, Development and Research ~ Michelle Jayman and Kyrill Potapov
10. Building Better Mental Wellbeing for Children: Rebel Thinking and Innovative Practice ~ Michelle Jayman