Are you a college or university graduate?
Do you support students looking ahead to life after graduation?
Are you curious about how your alumni network can benefit your life?
Does the alumni strategy in your organization need inspiration?
This enlightening, original book reimagines graduates’ alumni status as a gateway to immense opportunities through professional and personal networks. To discover this alumni potential, Maria L. Gallo guides you through the four key traits of the 'Alumni Way’: reflection, curiosity, passion and generosity.
With a sound academic foundation, combined with practical activities and checklists, 'The Alumni Way' is the ultimate resource for inspiring savvy, active alumni citizens of the world.
The Alumni Way Workbook is also available.
"Your alumni affiliation is one of the most powerful forms of social proof you possess. In this timely new book, Maria Gallo shows you how to leverage your investment in order to build connections, deepen relationships, and harness lasting professional credibility." Dorie Clark, author of 'Stand Out' and Executive Education Faculty, The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
"'The Alumni Way' presents a powerful new way to look at your alumni network, and an equally powerful plan to leverage that network to transform not just your life and career, but the community around you as well." David Burkus, author of 'Friend of a Friend'
"In her guide for how to reap benefits beyond the degree, Gallo asserts we can’t be passive investors. Our alumni status is something we can mine throughout our lives." Barbara Dick, Assistant Vice-President, Alumni Relations at the University of Toronto
“Maria’s book is a practical guide for those of us invested in developing and leading vibrant alumni networks” Jihad Hajjouji, African Leadership Academy
“Impressively international, thoroughly researched and easily readable, this book is valuable whether you are a new graduate or twenty years into your professional advancement career.” Nathalie Trott, Director of Development and Alumni Relations, Queen's University Belfast
"Maria's book will be useful to any college graduate seeking to understand how to leverage their alumni identity towards personal and career growth and equally to higher education professionals charged with deepening alumni and donor engagement." Jay Le Roux Dillon, Executive Director, Alumni Relations, University of California Berkeley
Maria L. Gallo is the founder of Keep in Touch Education and The Alumni Way Academy. An internationally renowned alumni scholar, Maria has held higher-education leadership positions in Canada and Europe. She is currently Visiting Research Fellow with the Trinity Business School, Trinity College Dublin.
Introduction: We are all alumni
PART 1: Charting the course of the Alumni Way
1. Starting at the finish line
2. The compass: Introducing alumni capital
3. Summary: Stepping forward by stepping back on campus
PART 2: The Alumni Way trait: Reflection
4. Reflecting on the ‘keep in touch’ call
5. Reflection signpost: Recognize the university is a city
6. Reflection signpost: Advance ourselves as alumni citizens
7. Reflection trait summary: Alum from Day One, revisited
PART 3: The Alumni Way trait: Curiosity
8. Our career, our alumni capital, and our curiosity
9. Curiosity signpost: Build our alumni hypernetwork
10. Curiosity signpost: Leverage alumni capital for business
11. Curiosity trait summary: Shining a light
PART 4: The Alumni Way trait: Passion
12. Immersing in our passions: The alumni dimension
13. Passion signpost: Nourish our wellness through our alumni capital
14. Passion signpost: Watch our alumni-self flourish
15. Passion trait summary: Our lives, our alma mater
PART 5: The Alumni Way trait: Generosity
16. When giving back has new meaning
17. Generosity signpost: Recognize we are all philanthropists
18. Generosity signpost: Understand the power of giving
19. Generosity trait summary: Our generosity as service
PART 6: Alumni: Bringing it into our lives
20. Our potential: Building our Alumni Way
21. Our alumni call to action