While there has been a gradual increase in scholarship on men, ageing and masculinities, little attention has been paid to the social relations of men in later life and the implications for enhancing their social wellbeing and counteracting ageist discourse.
Bringing together scholars in social gerontology and the social sciences from across Global North and South nations, this collection fills the gaps in key texts by foregrounding older men’s experiences.
It provides new perspectives across the intersections of old age, ethnicities, class and sexual and gender identity, paying particular attention to older men from seldom heard or marginalised groups.
“This collection brings together diverse international studies addressing many neglected angles and – crucially – new perspectives on men’s social connections in later life: gaming technology, older gay men’s practices, mobility patterns, intergenerational social relations, dating apps, and much more. The book is a vital addition to critical studies of older men and masculinities.” Jeff Hearn, Hanken School of Economics and University of Huddersfield
“This book is important in expanding understandings of older men’s social connections. I welcome the diversity of chapters with their insight into the later lives of men from non-western contexts.” Sarah Campbell, Manchester Metropolitan University
Paul Willis is Associate Professor in Social Work and Social Gerontology at the University of Bristol.
Ilkka Pietilä is Associate Professor of Social Gerontology at the University of Helsinki.
Marjaana Seppänen is Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Professor of Social Work at the University of Helsinki.
1. Critical Debates and Themes on Ageing, Masculinities and Social Relations - Paul Willis, Ilkka Pietilä and Marjaana Seppänen
Part 1: Masculinities and Social Connections in Later Life
2. Exploring Older Men’s Intergenerational Friendships: Masculinities, Ageing and Ageism - Catherine Elliott O’Dare and Ernesto Vasquez del Aguila
3. Generational Masculinities: Two Generations of Chinese Gay Men in Hong Kong - Travis Kong
4. Sexual Health Challenges, Masculinity and Responsive Help-Seeking Among Older Yoruba Men in Ibadan, Nigeria - Ojo Melvin Agunbiade and Leah Gilbert
5. Sexuality ‘in Apps’? A Study with Older MSM Users of Dating Apps in Brazil - Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes Queiroz, Álvaro Francisco
Lopes de Sousa and Anderson Reis de Sousa
6. Mobility and the Impact of the Physical and Built Environment on Older Men’s Social Connections - Charles Musselwhite
7. Older Men’s Informal Coping Practices for Maintaining Mental Wellbeing: The Importance of Social Connections and Community Groups - Alex Vickery
Part 2: Ageing Masculinities: Transitions and Transforming Identities
8. Ageing Men as Changing Men? Condsidering Culltural and Historical Influences of the 1960s on Masculinities and Gender Relations in Later Life - Miranda Leontowitsch
9. The Social World of Dying Older Men: Between Autonomy and ‘Bad Deaths’ - Axel Ågren and Magnus Nilsson
10. Continuing Bonds with Deceased Gay Partners in Mid and Later Life - Lefteris Patlamazoglou, Janette Graetz Simmonds, Tristan Leslie Snell and Damien Riggs
11. Shaken Identities: Ageing Men’s Experiences of Two Gendered Cancers - Edward Thompson and Andrew Futterman
12. Narratives of Long-Term Loneliness: Case Study of Two Older Men - Elisa Tiilikainen
13. Supporting Social Inclusion in Community-Dwelling Men with Dementia - Ben Hicks
14. Future Directions in Studies of Ageing, Men and Social Relations - Ilkka Pietilä, Marjaana Seppänen and Paul Willis