The industrialisation and modernisation in South Korea that followed the Second World War resulted in rapid progress in economic development, public administration, social service provision and the establishment of modern public policy.
Bringing together outstanding researchers, this book is the first to examine the theory and practice of policy analysis in South Korea. The volume explores the historical development of policy analysis, and procedures for decision making at different levels of government. Drawing on case studies, contributors consider the issues and players that affect executive and legislative branch policy analysis, as well as policy design and analysis in the public arena and the shifting role of policy and research institutes, think tanks and post-secondary institutions.
T. J. Lah is in the Department of Public Administration at Yonsei University, South Korea.
Thomas R. Klassen is Professor in the School of Public Policy and Administration at York University, Canada.
Part 1: Overview of Policy Analysis in Korea.
1. Policy Analysis in Korea: An Introduction - Cheol H. Oh
2. Policy Styles and Public Institutions in Korea - Suho Ji and Sounman Hong
3. The Policy Analysis Profession in Korea - Inwon Lee
Part 2: Policy Analysis by Governments
4. Policy Analysis and Bureaucratic Capacity - Ji Woong Yoon
5. Regulatory Impact Analysis: The Experience of Policy Analysis in the Korean Central Government - Song June Kim and Sun Gwon Ha
6. Policy Analysis in Quasi-governmental Institutions in Korea - Hyung Jun Park and Jiye Ju
7. Policy Analysis in Local Government - Hyunsang Ha
8. The Myth of Incompetency of Local Governments - Kilkon Ko and Ran Kim
Part 3: Committees, Consultants, Media, Public Inquiries, and Public Opinion
9. Policy Advisory Bodies in Korea - Tae Hee Kim
10. Public Inquiries inside and outside the Korean Political System - Sangyub Ryu
11. National Assembly Committees and Support Organizations - Yongmo Lee and Inseok Seo
12. Media Policy and the Public Interest in Korea - Namkee Park
Part 4: Parties and Interest Groups and Advocacy-Based Policy Analysis
13. Business Associations and Policy Analysis - Sam Youl Lee and Mean Sun Noh
14. Policy Analysis by the Labour Movement - Jooha Lee
15. Changes in Social Enterprise Policy in Korea - Chisung Park
Part 5: Academic, Research Institutes, and Policy Analysis
16. Think Tanks and the Public Policy Process in Korea - Cheol Liu and Byung-duk Cho
17. The Role of Korean Academics in Policy Analysis - Min-gil Kim and Rosa Minhyo Cho
18. Policy Analysis Education in Korea - Yui-ryong Jung and Yiyoon Chung