This book addresses the prejudices that emerged out of the collision of two pandemics: COVID-19 and racism.
Offering a snapshot of experiences through counter storytelling and micro narratives, this collection assesses the racialised responses to the pandemic and investigates acts of discrimination that have occurred within social, political and historical contexts.
Capturing the divisive discourses which have dominated this contemporary moment, this is a unique and creative resource that shows how structural racism continues to operate insidiously, offering invaluable insights for policy, practice and critical race and ethnic studies.
"This powerful collection explores what happens when twin pandemics, of racism and COVID-19, collide. It lays bare the violence that shaped the racist impacts of COVID-19 and sustains its deadly and dehumanising consequences into the future." David Gillborn, University of Birmingham
Vini Lander is Professor of Race and Education and Director of the Centre for Race, Education and Decoloniality at Leeds Beckett University.
Kavyta Kay is Senior Lecturer in Race and Education at the Centre for Race, Education and Decoloniality at Leeds Beckett University.
Tiffany R. Holloman is Lecturer at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Project Manager in the Centre for Inclusion and Diversity at the University of Bradford and Co-founder/Director of Same Skies Think Tank.
Introduction - Vini Lander, Kavyta Kay and Tiffany R. Holloman
1. BLAME the BAME - Javeria Shah
2. COVID-1984: Wake MBE Up When Black Lives Matter - Tré Ventour-Griffiths
3. Black Vaccination Reticence: HBCUs, the Flexner Report, and COVID-19 - LaTonia A. Siler-Holloman and Tiffany R. Holloman
4. Pregnancy, Pandemic and Protest: The Critical Reflections of a Black Millennial Mother - Sharon Anyiam
5. It’s Alive! The Resurrection of Race Science in the Times of a Public Health Crisis - Jon E.C. Tan
6. It’s Not Just Cricket: (Green) Parks and Recreation in COVID Times - Kavyta Kay
7. Muslim Funerals During the Pandemic: Socially Distanced Death, Burial and Bereavement Experienced by British-Bangladeshis in London and Edinburgh - Farjana Islam
8. Racial Justice and Equalities Law: Progress, Problems, and Potential - Robin Richardson
9. Out of Breath; Intersections of Inequality in a Time of Global Pandemic - Anon
10. An Exploration of the Label ‘BAME’, Other Existing Collective Terminologies, Their Effect on Mental Health and Identity Within a COVID-19 Context - Yemi Moses
11. COVID-19 in the UK: a colour-blind response - Jane Hinchliffe
12. Reviewing the Impact of OFQUAL’s Assessment ‘Algorithm’ on Racial Inequalities - Bruno Mallett
13. The Impact of COVID-19 on Somali Students’ Education in the UK: Challenges and Recommendations - Yusuf Sheikh Omar, Baar Hersi and Abdishakur Tarah
Conclusion: Long COVID, Long Racism