The latest edition in the International Library of Policy Analysis series explores a comprehensive overview of policy analysis in Argentina. It explores theoretical frameworks, views of the State, the development of the field, and current paradigms before examining knowledge produced at different levels (federal, provincial, and local); the application of the discipline by 'Internal Policy Advisory Councils, Consultants, and Committees'; the role of think tanks, NGOs, and political parties; and the developments provided by university teaching and research.
Analysing the conceptual frameworks and methodologies used from a meta-theoretical perspective, it provides a panoramic picture of the perspectives and challenges of policy analysis in Argentina.
“A brilliant and comprehensive book on public policy analysis in Argentina that reflects the authors' resolute commitment to democracy, a historical concern in Argentina's complex society.” Rodolfo Canto Sáenz, Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán
Nelson Cardozo is Professor at the Universidad Argentina de la Empresa (UADE) and the Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA). He specializes in the history, development and teaching of political science in Latin America, the study of comparative public policies in the region. He is Coordinator of the Research Group on Comparative Public Policy Research Group of the Latin American Political Science Association (ALACIP), a network of Ibero-American specialists on policy analysis.
Pablo Bulcourf is Research Professor at the Universidad Nacional de Quilmes (UNQ) and the Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA). He is the editorial secretary of ‘Estado Abierto’, published by the National Institute of Public Administration and the Coordinator of the Research Group on History of Political Science in Latin America - Latin American Association of Political Science (ALACIP). He currently serves as Secretary of Research at the Universidad de San Isidro.
1. Introduction: History, Problems, and Theories of Policy Analysis in Argentina – Nelson Cardozo and Pablo Bulcourf
Part 1: The Theories, Styles, and Methods of Policy Analysis
2. Public Analysis in Complex Societies – Daniel Garcia Delgado
3. Policy Analysis as a Profession: The Interaction Between Knowledge Production and Policymaking – Cristina Díaz, Silvio Crudo and María Del Mar Monti
4. The Styles of Policy Analysis in Argentina: Analytical Frameworks in Debate – Mabel Thwaites Rey and Vanesa Ciolli
5. Prospective Policy Analysis: Its Development and Application for Argentina – Horacio Cao and Gustavo Blutman
Part 2: Policy Analysis by Governments
6. Policy Analysis by the Federal Government: The Contribution of the National Institute of Public Administration – Juan Ignacio Doberti, Dante Sabatto and Melina J. Levy
7. Policy Analysis in the Bureaucracy: The Production of Knowledge for Professional Public Management Training – Maximiliano Campos Ríos
8. Policy Analysis at the Subnational Level: An Exploration of a Collaborative Governance Model – Silvia Fontana and Sofia Conrero
9. Policy Analysis in Argentine Local Governments: A Growing, Heterogeneous and Controversial Field of Study – Rita Grandinetti
10. Policy Analysis at Different Levels of Government: The Managerial Skills in Leaders of Policy Networks in Argentina – Alejandro M. Estevez
Part 3: Internal Policy Advisory Councils, Consultants, and Committees
11. Corps of Government Administrators in Argentina: A Transformative Initiative of Internal Consultants for Public Administration – Gerardo Izzo and Luz Piraino Martínez
12. The Role of the Argentine Congress as a Policymaking Forum. A Review of the Last Decade – Natalia Staiano and Pablo Lozada Castro
13. Policy Analysis by National Government Advisory Councils. Knowledge Production and Its Role in Policy Design and Implementation – Nelson Cardozo and Paola Ferrari
Part 4: Parties, Private Research Centers, and Interest Group-Based Policy Analysis
14. Policy Analysis in Professional Organizations: The Contribution of the Argentine Association of Public Administration – Diego Pando and Adrián Darmohraj
15. Policy Analysis by Parties: Political Cadres Formation and Training for the Public Management in Argentina – Melina Guardamagna
16. The Growing and Influential Role of Civil Society Organizations and Think Tanks in the Cycles of Public Policy in Argentina – Gonzalo Diéguez and Demian González Chmielewski
17. Policy Analysis in Private Research Centers: The CEDES and Its Production on State and Public Policies in Argentina – Pablo Bulcourf
Part 5: Academics, Teaching and Policy Analysis in Universities
18. Academic Policy Analysis: The Development of Production in Public Administration and Policy Studies in Argentina (2001–2019) – Exequiel Rodríguez and Anabela Rosconi
19. Emergence and Development of Public Policy Training Tracks in Argentine Universities – Natalia Galano and Guillermina Curti
20. Postgraduate University Training in Public Administration, Management, and Public Policy in Argentina. Structure and Distribution in the Period 1990–2017 – Karina Montes, Gabriela Mansilla and Sergio L. Agoff
21. Policy Analysis at the Universities: Teaching Comparative Public Administration From Argentina With a Latin American Perspective – Oscar Oszlak