Leading Colombian academics and experienced policy practitioners cast new light on their country in this systematic overview of policy analysis for an international audience.
Examining the historical development and current status of policy analysis as a field of study and in practice, it considers public policy analysis in government and the judiciary, and across domains including health, education and the military. Contributors also delve into Colombia’s notable success in economic regeneration, the management of cultural diversity and the resolution of long-term internal armed conflict.
Not just an important summation of policy analysis in Colombia, this book also provides insights and lessons applicable elsewhere.
"An excellent contribution to the field of comparative policy analysis. This remarkable group of scholars help us understand the complexities of policy analysis in Colombia. Anyone interested in learning about public policy in Latin America must read it.” Mauricio I. Dussauge-Laguna, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas
Pablo Sanabria-Pulido is Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Programs in the School of Government at Universidad de los Andes, Colombia and Affiliate Professor at CIDE Mexico, Public Administration Division.
Nadia Rubaii is Professor of Public Administration and Co-Director of the Institute for Genocide and Mass Atrocity Prevention at Binghamton University, State University of New York and Adjunct Researcher at Universidad de los Andes.
Introduction ~ Nadia Rubaii and Pablo Sanabria-Pulido
PART I: POLICY ANALYSIS IN CONTEMPORARY COLOMBIA
1. The Policy Analysis Movement in Colombia: The State of the Art ~ Pablo Sanabria-Pulido, Nadia Rubaii and Andrés Guzmán
2. Evolution of Policy Analysis as a Field of Study and Instruction in Colombia ~ Nadia Rubaii and
3. Policy Analysis, Bureaucratic Capacity and Public Administration Reforms in Colombia ~ Maria Fernanda Ramírez and Carolina Isaza
PART II: POLICY ANALYSIS WITHIN NATIONAL AND SUBNATIONAL GOVERNMENTS
4. Policy Analysis Inside Central Government: building up from the National Development Plan ~ Luis Bernardo Mejia
5. Policy Analysis and the Legislature in Colombia ~ Monica Pachon and Manuela Muñoz
6. Policy Analysis in the Colombian Constitutional Court ~ Juan Carlos Rodriguez-Raga and Santiago Virgüez-Ruiz
7. Metropolitan Policy Analysis in Colombia: A Subnational Comparative Analysis and a Path-Dependent Explanation ~ Santiago Leyva, Pablo Sanabria-Pulido, Enrique Rodriguez-Caporalli
8. Policy Analysis for Decision Making in Colombian Local Governments ~ Claudia Avellaneda and Ricardo Bello-Gomez
PART III: POLICY ANALYSIS IN KEY POLICY DOMAINS
9. Policy Analysis in Education Policy in Colombia ~ Sandra Garcia, Dario Maldonado and Sarah Muñoz-Cadena
10. The Evolution of Policy Analysis in the Health Sector in Colombia ~ Andres Vecino-Ortiz, Stephanie Puerto-Gracia, Diego Lucumi and Janeth Mosquera-Becerra
11. Public Policy Analysis and Decision Making in the Military Forces: The Havana Experience ~ Paula Lorena Mora-Hernández, Juan David Gélvez-Ferreira, Michael Weintraub and Sebastián Bitar
12. Technocracy, Decision Making and Economic Policy in Colombia: 1980-2016 ~ Marta Juanita Villaveces-Niño and Carlos Caballero-Argaez
13. Social Policy in Colombia: A Case of Expanding Policy Targeting in the Context of a Truncated Welfare State ~ Santiago Leyva and Andrés Olaya
PART IV: POLICY ANALYSIS BEYOND THE STATE
14. Political Parties and Policy Analysis in Colombia ~ Sebastián Lippez-De Castro
15. Policy Analysis and NGOs in Colombia ~ Susan Appe and Fabian Telch
16. Media, Evidence and Policy Analysis in Colombia ~ Juan Guillermo Vieira-Silva
Conclusion ~ Pablo Sanabria-Pulido and Nadia Rubaii