Dive inside this textbook for an accessible guide to the discipline of public services.
Perfect for students, it offers a comprehensive account of core public service topics and explains the fundamental elements of working in the public services. Outlining their role in the welfare state, it explores the policies, providers and legalities shaping the context in which public services operate.
Students will study concepts of organisational change, strategy, management, leadership and funding, and engage with timely discussions around contemporary public issues such as equality, sustainability and climate change. Key features to support student learning include:
•objectives at the beginning of each chapter;
•case studies and examples;
•end of chapter summaries;
•further reading recommendations and resources.
Bringing together authors with expertise in politics and public policy, social policy and law, this book is essential reading for everybody studying public services.
E.K. Sarter is Senior Lecturer for Social Policy and Public Service Management at the University of South Wales.
Elizabeth Cookingham Bailey is Lecturer in Public Services at the University of South Wales.
Introduction – Elizabeth Cookingham Bailey and E.K. Sarter
Part 1: Public Services and the Welfare State
1. Public Services and Public Policies – E.K. Sarter
2. Mixed Economy – Elizabeth Cookingham Bailey
3. Public Services and Law – Simon Read
Part 2: The Internal Dynamics of Public Service Management
4. Organisations and Institutions – Elizabeth Cookingham Bailey
5. Strategy and Strategic Management – Jennifer Law
6. Leadership and Management – David Phillips and Simon Read
Part 3: Achieving Social and Environmental impact
7. Public Services and the Challenge of Sustainability – E.K. Sarter
8. Public Services and Equality – E.K. Sarter, Wendy Booth and Vida Greaux
9. Public Services and the Environmental Crisis – E.K. Sarter
10. Adapting Organisations: Public Services, Climate Change, and the Energy Transition – Filippos Proedrou
11. Conclusion: Developing trends – Elizabeth Cookingham Bailey and E.K. Sarter with Wendy Booth, Vida Greaux, Stuart Jones, Jennifer Law, David Phillips, Filippos Proedrou and Simon Read